Sunday, October 28, 2012

Dyeing to be Healthy.

Hair dye is always a fun way for anyone to change up their look or style. Being a girl hair dyeing is just accepted as being normal, almost every girl has dyed their hair once in their life. Now I was a pretty regular dyer when it came to hair, every month or two I would get highlights and lowlights added to my hair. This of course is not good for your overall health since most hair dyes contain harsh chemicals to make the process faster or shinier, exedra. I decided a couple months ago that I was no longer going to dye my hair anymore and just stick to my natural color, the only problem is the strict process it takes to color your hair to your natural color, especially since I'm a blonde. I had my hair dresser dye my hair brown 3 months ago then the brown really faded to where you could still see my roots. I decided to try an all natural dyeing method since I am trying to slowly stop ever dyeing my hair with salon chemicals. I found that henna is great for dyeing hair and there are natural ingredients used to prepare the henna mixture. 

What I used to mix the henna dye:
1 container of Rainbow Henna
3 Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbs of Apple Cider Vinegar (I only used this to help the dye soak into my blonde hair)
3/4 cup of boiling water
1/4 cup of brewed black coffee

Mix all the ingredients until you get a dark green creamy paste. The process was simple and very easy to apply, just be careful because it stains and make sure you clean up right after you wrap your hair up to cure. The process takes around 60 to 75 minutes depending on how rich you want the color, if you have a heat lamp to stand under the process would be around 45 to 55 minutes. 


Also don't forget to coat the outline of your face, ears, and neck with Vaseline so the henna does not leave a funky line of dye on your skin. So, that is what everything should look like once mixed and now you apply and wait. I was kind of nervous when I was washing it out of my hair because it was hard to get all of it out so it took me awhile and I was not sure if I got all the hair coated in it or if it did not turn out the way I wanted it. Once I finally succeeded in getting all the henna out of my hair, I added some hair oil to my ends and brushed it out. 


Once dried the final result was this, I love it and it looks like I had nothing to worry about after all because I think it turned out great. This picture is of it without me using any heat to style it, I just let it dry on its own to assure that the color would be set. The Rainbow Henna that I used was really affordable, works great, and comes with detailed instructions. I surely feel like my 7 dollars was well spent and I think if I ever dye again I will make sure to use henna.

3 comments:

  1. You are brave! I am an avid hair dyer and do it with the horrible boxes from home. I would love to find something that doesn't make my eyes water from all the intense chemicals but as you know blonde is hard to due naturally. Every time I wash out the dye I say a little prayer hopping my hair doesn't fall out haha. Have you any ideas about a better solution to getting a light blonde?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa thanks, I consider you to be the brave one using chemical box dyes! I am terrified of dyeing my own hair with real hair dye, henna did not freak me out because I knew most of the color would wash out. I would suggest using the lightest shade of henna dye (if you have brown hair already) then just mixing that dye with boiled water and lemon juice, the more lemon juice you use the lighter the color will be. Before you start with the henna I suggest taking a spray bottle and putting 1/2 a tablespoon of your favorite leave in conditioner then a cap full of peroxide then fill the rest up with water and give it a good shake. I usually do this when I want my hair to have a natural highlight look to it, typically I spray this on right before I style my hair with any heat (because the heat will make the peroxide lighten your hair faster) and I spray some on my hair if I know I will be outside for majority of my day. Now use this mix sparingly because it does contain peroxide so it will dry out your hair, you can also opt for lemon juice instead of peroxide if you want to use it everyday to lighten up your hair.

      Oh and be careful if you already have somewhat blonde hair using henna, because henna can turn blonde hair into a strange shade or it can come out a tad blotchy so just use with caution. :)

      Delete
  2. That is really awesome! I never thought that Henna and coffee ( along with the rest)could have such an impact of color for hair. You are very resourceful. Brave yes, but I guess if it turned out the other way at least the color was extracted from natural sources. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete